French toast wrapped in layers of cinnamon apples and creamy cheese. This overnight apple pie will make even the most non-morning person excited about mornings.
The birth of Apple Pie French Toast
Recently, I was making apple butter and the intoxicating smells of cinnamon and apples sparked the idea of making apple pie French Toast. I couldn’t wait to test this concept. French Bread layered with apple slices, cinnamon, sugar and cream cheese. It’s what breakfast dreams are made of. And let me tell you it did not disappoint.
Overnight Apple Pie French Toast
2/3 loaf French Bread cubed
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 cup Apple Butter (see above for recipe link)
3-4 Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp sugar
1 cup milk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Cinnamon
1) Spray 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Add half cubed bread.
2) Mix together apples, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Set aside
3) Blend together cream cheese and apple butter. Spread over bread cubes in pan.
4) Top with sliced apples
5) Cover with remaining bread cubes.
6) Beat together eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon. Pour over French toast casserole.
7) Cover with plastic wrap. Be sure to press down on the top so all the bread can soak up egg mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
8) Preheat oven to 400° F. Cover casserole with foil; bake (covered) for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes, be sure center is set.
I hope you enjoy this “fall inspired” breakfast as much as I did. Post it to Instagram or Twitter and be sure to use the hashtag #applepiefrenchtoast. Leave a comment and share your review.